Having your vehicle’s oil changed regularly is key to keeping your model running smoothly on Coventry roads and beyond. Wondering how to check oil in a car on your own at home? The service team at INFINITI of Warwick has put together this helpful guide to help you do just that. If you’re interested in learning more DIYservice tips and tricks, our team can help!
How to Check the Oil in Your Car
As with all DIY car care, you’ll want to double check your owner’s manual, especially when it comes to learning how to check the oil in your car. This will help you locate the dipstick, find the right oil you need to replace the current oil, and more. Once you’ve read the owner’s manual, follow these steps:
- Cool Down the Engine: You need to place your car on level ground, turn off the ignition, and give the engine time to fully cool.
- Find the Dipstick: The location of the dipstick should be in your owner’s manual, in the section on how to check the oil in your car. The dipstick is often under the hood!
- Wipe Down then Dip the Dipstick: First, wipe down the oil on the dipstick with a towel. Then dip it back in and check that the oil is at the appropriate level.
- How to Check Oil Level in Car: There should be markers on your dipstick that indicate whether you have enough oil. Should you need to refill your motor oil, make sure you don’t put too much in!
- How to Check Oil in a Car for Color: Besides quantity, you should take advantage of this opportunity to inspect the oil. Dirt and debris will turn the ideal amber color of oil to a sludgy black tint full of particles.
How to Check Car Oil: Oil Service Tips
After learning how to check the oil level in a car, there’s still more to learn. Check out these oil service tips that every driver should know.
- Change Oil Twice a Year: Old oil can cause serious damage to your vehicle’s engine and mechanical components. Even if you don’t drive often, having your vehicle’s oil changed twice a year will ensure your vehicle will remain in good condition. If you need to schedule service for an oil change, bring your model to INFINITI of Warwick.
- Replacing the Filter: Another important part of caring for your vehicle is oil filter replacement. If you decide to check and change your oil on your own, be sure to remember to change the oil filter.
Get Oil Service at INFINITI of Warwick!
Trust the service team at INFINITI of Warwick when it comes to your service needs. Along with our online service tips, we offer service specials for additional savings when you bring your vehicle to us for repair. Contact us today with any questions, to learn more about how to check oil level in a car, and more.